Skip to main content

Thinking Inside the Box

They are immersed in a conversation only feet from where she sits, and it is a dialogue in her own language, but she is unable to comprehend. They are speaking of the depths of the latest foreign film they have seen, and of the new exhibit at the modern art museum. They speak of their trips overseas, and of obscure Indian Food restaurants, and of communes and underground music.
She scrambles to pick up after one baby, who has littered the floor with a mosaic of rice and beans. Another child is showing her their bubble blowing abilities in soda.
She searches her brain for a piece of titillating gossip, news or random trivia she could bring to this table, but she is at a loss. She could speak of the new way the babies say thank you, or of the upcoming school year. She could recite Stand By Me word for word, and give a recipe for macaroni and cheese she stole from Paula Deen.
An invisible mirror is suddenly before her and she sees an overweight girl with hair that actually looks frayed along the hemlines. She sees hunched shoulders, and tired eyes. She does not see a higher than average IQ, or an ability to speak rudimentary French. She is mom, and while that is exactly what works on any other given day, it suddenly falls short at this table. Mom ceases to be interesting or well read. While the others at the table talk of Shakespeare and Tolstoy, she is midway through a Judy Blume. While they talk of kayaking through cold, open waters, she fantasizes about someday soon taking a solo soak in the bathtub.
The mirror girl, the one who often speaks in words two syllables or less and who sometimes wears the same jeans three times in a row, eats chips so as to seem too busy to join in the conversation, which has moved to the concert in the park. She notices a pee pee dance, and ushers children to the bathroom. She averts her eyes when the strangers at the next table disdainfully watch her shrieking baby. She feels wider and more bland than even five minutes ago, and wonders if when she goes to stand, the chair will accompany her hind quarters.
They leave the restaurant, and drive to the park, where the suburban moms in their suburban cars have unloaded double strollers and Target brand Crocs. She separates herself from her group, and accompanies her son as he climbs and swings and jumps and slides. She feels a little taller, and thinner as the man with two children of his own acknowledges her tiny waddling baby, and taller still when another asks how many she has, and impressed, calls her brave. She thinks to herself that the women on the park bench could surely tell her the meaning of supercalifragilisticexpialodocious, but hesitate when asked about health care reform. The air feels clearer here, and it helps to ease the fog that had come over her brain. She suddenly remembers the new band she had been reading about, the book she recently got from the library, and the research she has been doing about mood disorders. She looks to find her group, to let the information out, but when she finds them, she sees one making a sand castle, and another giving a piggy back ride.
The girl in the invisible mirror packs up the bag, and baby bottles, secures carseats and drives away. She knows it will not always be like this. Someday, she may be the one in the nearly empty restaurant with oodles of ideas and conversation fraught with nuance and irony. But for now, what works for her is for the box to be compact and light. There are enough holes poked in the top to breathe, and the light that filters in this afternoon illuminates the contents in such a way that the girl in the mirror begins to look rather lovely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ