Skip to main content

Food is love.

On Saturday night, a family friend came for dinner, and as I cooked for him, I was reminded why one finds such comfort in the kitchen. For the past several months, the kitchen has lost its appeal, because the other adult with whom I share meals is absent, and while my children are open to many kinds of food, their palates are certainly not advanced enough to appreciate good cuisine.
My own childhood was filled with such flavor. My mother was a self-taught cook, never afraid of experimenting beyond the pages of Betty Crocker, and while there was occasionally a misstep or two (anything containing raisins or curry will always be a misstep for me), dinner was a consistently pleasurable time for our family. Each member had their self assigned seats, and we spoke of our days over steaming platters of artichokes, or clams with melted garlic butter. I have many memories that still bring me laughter- my sister stuffing peas into her tiny nose like pistol bullets, my mother serving me detestable brussel sprouts covered in chocolate as a cruel joke.
I really cannot remember much of what we discussed in those days. It was before my parents' divorce, and while there was most certainly tension, what I remember is the bright little breakfast nook, and chipped plates, the dog pattering beneath our feet, and chatting between mouthfuls. At holidays, my mother often hosted the festivities, and our guests were treated to appetizers, feasts and cascading desserts. No one left hungry, no one left empty.
As an adult, I catch a whiff of certain aromas, and I am quickly brought back to this childhood, the childhood that contained its share of trauma (as many do), but that I remember with warmth and peace. My grandmother's spaghetti with braciole , slow cooking all afternoon- she would let me dip a chunk of bread in after lunch to taste test, crockery with piping hot french onion soup, and heavenly chocolate mousse, a specialty of my mother's...these are the scents that fill me with nostalgia, and oddly enough, hope.
Those who know me, know how particular I am about my kitchen. I don't like having help with meals I am preparing, and I prefer you not try to clean up once the dinner is through. I have an absurd amount of tools and appliances for my culinary experimentation, and I enjoy plating the meals rather than serving buffet. There is no greater compliment to a cook than when a guest, for whom a lavish meal has been lovingly prepared, asks for seconds, or pauses after the first bite because they are stunned by what they have eaten.
I do not cook low fat foods, though I know I should. I liken myself to Paula Deen because I, too, love rich, thick, bubbling tastes. While quinoa and alfalfa most certainly has a time and place, I prefer Hollandaise drenched salmon or pesto mixed with cream cheese. I warn those partaking in my food that if they were to eat with me often, they would find themselves chunky and perhaps someday needing bypass, but sometimes, it is both deserved and necessary to allow yourself such luxuries.
On Saturday, with our guest watching me prepare his dinner, I felt most at home. As we spoke, I sprinkled pieces of our conversation throughout the food. He spoke of his love for his wife, and the amazing hand with which she raises her children, and I took those words and poured them over the sauce. He spoke of disappointments with work, and I crumbled in an extra dash of hope in with the cheese. My ego, my narcissism emerges only with my food, for I believe that while it may not be a refined talent, and certainly nothing unique, it is my one true talent. I learned it from my mother, who during our times of poverty, could pull scraps from the refrigerator and combine them in such a way that we felt like kings.
If you are ever in my area, soon to be a completely different area, please stop by and let me cook for you. We can talk about old times, or times to come. If it is cold outside, I will wrap you in a thick soup, if it is warm, I will douse you with sorbet. But when you leave, you will leave full, and I will sleep well. Food is love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ