Skip to main content

Insomnia

It began 9 years ago, in the blistering wet heat of Florida. While the world slept, I watched the clock ease its way through the late night. I learned the joys of ebay at midnights, and reruns of Friends at 2am, and infomercials where I was promised a double order plus free shipping and handling if I.Just.Call.Right.Now! I watched Rhiannon asleep, still a baby, with sporadic phantom boob suckling. I was startled by Jake's sleepwalking/sleeptalking/sleepbasketball playing. I took showers stealthily in hopes it would trigger drowsiness, but to no avail. I cannot exactly tell you what would run through my mind as those minutes and hours dragged on. In retrospect, I assume I was suffering from postpartum, and my mind was whirling like an out of control carousel. Jake and I were planning our wedding, though in all honesty, Jake took more of a bystander role. With a limited budget, I hunted down guest books and veils from novice auction sellers, and panicked about paying DJs and photographers. I had a young baby, and I fretted over my every misstep. I lived far from my family and any support, so I spent eons yearning for companionship, and it spilled over into the night, I suppose.
When I moved to New York, the insomnia lowered its ugly head, and while I never was one to achieve more than a solid few hours of rest without nightmares, night pees, or muscle cramps, I did not suffer those evenings of watching the clock, thinking- if I fell asleep right this minute, I would get 3 hours before the alarm goes off....
And now, my world has once again been shaken like a snowglobe, disrupting those once peaceful particles and swirling them around my head. The calliope music has begun once more, and the carousel, my friends, is off and running. I sit here at Jake's computer, in his apartment in Raleigh, and for the life of me, cannot fathom sleep, or even its lowly imposter, catnap.
On this night alone, I have tended to crying babies, children with nightmares and children with headaches. I have watched Hulu and scrubbed Jambalaya dishes. I reorganized jake's bachelor pad-esque closet, and scrutinized facebook. The quiet (besides collective snores) merely exacerbates the angst in my head, like my brain in the midst of a tantrum.
I have tried the suggested means of sleep begetting.... counting sheep becomes a fluffy woolly mosh pit, picturing myself melting muscle by muscles becomes an electric Dali painting in the works. Taking a warm bath reminds me of places needing a razor, a pluck or a buff. I could take a drive, which almost always acts as a surefire method of sleep when done during inappropriate day hours, but my GPS does not recognize this apartment complex, and therefore I would become lost.
I am reminded by friends, family and even by inner intellect that this too shall pass. Soon, it will be behind us, and we will have squared things away. In the grand scheme of things, our stress is miniscule and petty. I could put things in perspective by reading CNN, though I am doubtful whether stories of war, drunken mother drivers and kidnapped disabled boys will be the antidote for my insomnia. Instead, I suppose, I will take this opportunity to reflect. Or catch up on shows I have missed during these travels. I could play childish pranks on my sleeping family, or seek out faraway friends for an IM session or two. I could listen to some of jake's random music, so as to give my moshing sheep music to which they could behave badly.
As the minutes are ticking, on my friends and readers, I wish you sweet dreams and a lack of bed bugs ( which, I have learned, are not fictitious creatures).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ