Skip to main content

Colonoscopy Eve

I was thirteen when I found out she had cancer. Amazing, how it was 19 years ago, and I still recall so vividly where I was standing when my mother told me. It was, in a way, similar to the stories we hear of when John F. Kennedy was assassinated...everyone remembers minute details normally forgotten by day's end.
My grandmother was what I consider to this day to be the quintessential grandparent. She bought us new coloring books for each visit, fed us ice cream past bedtime, and nestled us in her bosom when we needed comfort. Her house always smelled like food, whether it was stew or spaghetti, and my grandpa always smelled like smoke. He was a volunteer firefighter, and would often come home at night to kiss us, enveloped in a smoky heroism I relished. They lived in probably a mere 1200 square feet, but as a child, it was a palace, with its patterned carpet, and cushy la-Z-boys. When we spent the night, she made sure to use the sheets bought specifically for me, white with pink roses and a ruffle along the top sheet.
Finding out she had cancer was a devastation, but despite the somber adults, I was convinced she would come through it. And she almost did. But when they thought they had it beaten, after it had spread from breast to lung, it suddenly cropped up in her brain, and it was too late. Every day, after school, my sister, my mother and I would drive to the hospital, and watch her be slowly erased. Thanksgiving, and then christmas were spent in the hospice unit at Samaritan Hospital, the very hospital whose doors I would exit carrying my twins more than a decade later.
A week before she died, my grandfather was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and the cycle continued. Within a year, I lost my grandparents, my parents were separated, and my high school sweetheart and I parted ways. I felt a desolation that to this day has not been replicated. Nights were long and horrific, as I fought off nightmares that would cause Wes Craven to cringe. School became a chore, and maintaining relationships and friendships was exhausting and emotional.
My father was told almost five years ago during a colonoscopy that he, too, was now to be forever known as a cancer victim, a cancer fighter, and ultimately- a cancer survivor. He sported a port in his heart where chemo would be injected, and a brazen scar across his abdomen from surgery. Last year, during Relay for Life, he marched with my kids, and it took everything I had to not sob aloud while I walked.
I have my first colonoscopy tomorrow. Today has been a day of fasting, and laxatives and terrible cherry drinks, but more importantly, a day of reflection. I am certain my results will be much more benign than those treasured family members before me, but I cannot help but think of them tonight (as I do often). I am always certain, when Stevie Wonder croons from my car radio, that my grandmother, ever the same age, is seated next to me. When I pass a fire, whether barbecue or brush, I see a fleeting, tall man who resembles my grandfather, ever the quiet hero. And when I see my dad playing in Indian Lake with my children, his scar proudly on display, as a badge of courage, I say a word of thanks- to whom I do not know.
It is brief, this life, briefer still for too many. I will go to my procedure tomorrow, and will come back home to give hugs that last a bit longer than usual, and when I am told good news, I will close my eyes and suspend my disbelief in the spiritual for a moment, to thank my grandparents, my guardian angels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ

The march was a journey for all women, not just those who walked.

I am really tired of seeing the blogs written by complacent women in their suburban homes, self-righteously shitting on the women who took to the streets for the march on Washington last week. We can pussyfoot around the subject and take care with our words, because as women, we have been taught to be non-confrontational, to be demure. But I am taking back those silly notions and raising a big fat middle finger to the people who deride others for defending the very rights that have brought them to their complacency in their suburban homes. If you chose not to march, that is absolutely your decision, and I will not criticize you for it, for we each have to be comfortable in the ways we raise our voices. But if you are a female who has ever voted, who has ever held a job in the workforce, who has ever used birth control, had an abortion, been assaulted, been harassed, bought a home, owned a credit card, or given birth, then for you to tell the women and men who marched on our behalf th