Skip to main content

Words of wisdom for women getting married

Coming up on my fourteenth wedding anniversary, I've had a bit of time to reflect about not only our nuptials, but about the wedding process itself, and in doing so, I've found that retrospect has provided me with certain tools in which I could assist future brides.
First, the ring. If you are with a man who loves you unconditionally, who can put up with your bullshit for an entire lifetime, and whose bullshit will only drive you to drink occasionally, but who isn't exactly cash rich, it would seem to make more sense to put aside the shallow need for diamonds, and accept his proposal, and his promises for a beautiful future at face value. The baubles and bangles can come later, when they won't put him (or you both) into debt.
 
Speaking of debt, don't begin your married life drowning in it. While I understand that putting one's self into debt is currently America's favorite past time, it is a terrible thing to be saddled with maxed out credit cards during the first year of marriage, which is typically considered the most difficult.
While the perfect venue may be heavenly, it will not be nearly as satisfying as stepping foot into your first home. While eating imported truffle oil caviar sounds like a dream, it's even better when you can afford to feed and clothe your future children. And while the day must be special and momentous, the honeymoon can be multiple days, and even more memorable.

So what are my brilliant ways to save, you ask? What? You didn't ask? Well then, let me offer my advice unsolicited.
Starting with the engangement: unless you are friends with all Upper East Side aristocrats, you can forego an engagement party and wait to be showered with gifts at the actual shower. When registering for said gifts, be practical. As fabulous as it is to receive a crystal gravy boat from great Aunt Lucille in Saskatchewan, it's even better if you receive something you can use more than once a year. Consider your home, and what you will need for the first few years of marriage. If you've never lived together, you will need towels, sheets, plates that reflect your merging personalities. If you've cohabited before, well then shame on your life of sin! Ahhhhhh, just a bit of humor. If you've been living together, then think about things you may need on your honeymoon, or things that you've always wanted but just never could afford. And for goodness sake, never ask for cash. Chances are, you will receive some, but asking for it outright is just plain gauche. And I may be frugal, but gauche is out of the question.

Favors- my first plea to you, is forget the Jordan almonds. They are kind of gross, most people hate them, and they scream cheap as favors. Get your girlfriends together to share a bottle of wine and go gaga over Pinterest and Etsy. Homemade favors are not only creative and thoughtful, but often much less costly. The same goes for floral bouquets. Go to a wholesale florist, and make the bouquets with your bridesmaids. For less than $200, every person in my wedding party had a beautiful bouquet, corsage or boutonnière. The same goes for centerpieces. While floral is lovely, floral dies and floral is costly. Consider your life together, and come up with centerpieces that are reconditioned, repurposed, or just plain cool.

Wedding photography is expensive. I do believe that every set of newlyweds deserves to have a bunch of gorgeous photos to scrutinize after returning from their honeymoon, but I also think that if the budget doesn't allow for Annie Liebowitz, asking your friends and family to bring their cameras is both an honor for them, and will provide a unique perspective from people who know you intimately and may capture something in you because of that. And let's face it, aside from a handful of pictures that show you as a fresh faced couple who are happily and naively about to walk the proverbial plank off to the swirling dark seas of matrimony, most of your wedding pictures will be stored in albums or thumb drives in your attic. I feel equally as emphatic about not spending thousands on a videographer. I have a funny story about the man we bribed with  heinekens to film our wedding, who spent quite a bit of time panning in on girls in bikinis while we recited our vows. And while this is terrible, and you certainly get what you pay for, I can guarantee that our wedding video is much more enjoyable to watch, and offers a much better anecdote.

And lastly, the dress. Sure, that $13,000 gown that is styled after Bjork's swan costume is super cute, but chances are, you can hit up discount bridal stores or even Craigslist and find yourself equally as appealing for a fraction of the price. You will wear this dress for a grand total of six hours, and while paying $2000 per hour to wear a dress sounds completely logical and not at all ostentatious, you might find that in five years, you kind of wish you had chosen something that didn't make you look like a ginormous white duck.

Essentially, hindsight is 20/20. You are going to do things for your wedding, and your married life sometimes for the wrong reasons. You may be doing them because parents have forced them onto you, or because the Jones' did it that way, and you are always trying to catch up, but regardless of where it is, or how posh it is the real point of the day is that you've chosen to give yourself over to someone else for eternity. The logicality of that can be argued in a different blog, but the idea of marriage is glorious and romantic, and your wedding will be, as well, for the mere fact that is you two. Have the wedding you can afford right now. If you have Kardashian money, you can aim for Versailles. But if you're like the rest of us, there ain't nothing wrong with getting hitched barefoot on the beach.  After all, there something to be said about letting your love speak for itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ