Skip to main content

Weight...just a moment...

I stepped on the scale, and despite my justifications and excuses (heavy sweater, change and keys in the pocket, winter boots), the number before me was unfathomable. I have never been a petite person, one of the tallest in elementary school, one of the first to get boobs and hips, so much so that I escaped to a stall in middle school to change for gym class out of embarrassment. Most of my friends were smaller than I, fitting into the cute clothes in 5-7-9 that i could only admire from afar. I tried fad diets in high school, though let's face it- to be that size again would be heavenly.
When I got to ASU, my pockets were empty, and the job market for an inexperienced eighteen year old left much to be desired. I began working at the movie theater, which meant crazy hours, unlimited free popcorn, and most importantly, an absurdly meager wage. At 4.40 an hour before taxes, I barely made enough to buy school supplies let alone feed myself, so I turned to what every college student subsists on: ramen. And bean burritos at midnight from the Taco Bell in the Palo Verde cafeteria, and pepsi. Pepsi. Pepsi. The freshman ten became 15 and pushed 20 before I went home for the summer.
After the breakup with my live in boyfriend in 1997, I lost 30 pounds at an alarmingly fast rate, I assume half was due to dehydration from tears wept, and the rest from my inability to stomach food in my state. I began working at a restaurant (where I met and fell in love with Jake), and the access to the food and drinks during and after all my shifts was dangerous, and even more dangerous was when I became pregnant with Rhiannon. The cravings were not crazy, but at times intense. When in Rome (or close to the Mexican border)...I craved guacamole. Guacamole. Guacamole. I could scarf down tubs, and because Jake and I were broke as young twenty somethings often are, the dollar double cheeseburgers at McDonalds were all too tempting. I gained 33 pounds with Rhiannon, and it showed everywhere- my face, my legs, my stomach. But being 22, I lost it all immediately, and wondered aloud many times why so many women complained about the difficulty of losing baby weight.
I chuckle now at my naivete, because after having five, and now being in my thirties, I realize that life gets in the way. To be comforted, I turn to ice cream and fatty gourmet French foods, to celebrate, I turn to pizza and pasta, to mourn, I turn to cake and pastry. I gain weight with pregnancy, and am instructed not to diet until I have finished nursing, but once I have finished nursing, I become pregnant again rather quickly, and for much of my adult life, my body has not been my own.
Two years ago, I faced it head on and lost close to 50 pounds. For five months, I ellipticized and journaled and did it all the right way. I vowed to make it a way of life, allowing myself one cheat day per week, to have a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. The pounds melted away, and a joy broke through me that had long been absent. It once again became fun to try on clothes, especially when I had to call out for a smaller size. I no longer shied from mirrors, and things I once thought to be vain and shallow began to make sense: manicures, pedicures, eyebrow waxes, highlights.
And then we decided for another baby. And that baby became two babies. One of which they were unsure would be healthy. And I was diabetic (again), but instructed to consume enough calories to keep up a multiple pregnancy. When all was said and done, I went ahead and gained all of my weight back, like the mound of it crept back in through my window and nestled back into its comfortable, familiar place around my middle.
The twins turn one next week, though i find it so hard to believe so much time has gone by. My self esteem is at its lowest, I believe, in my lifetime. The clothes I relished only two years ago are stuffed into shopping bags at the back of the closet, and I enjoy most the days when I can wear sweats and tee shirts. But it is time. I want to do this for those twins, so I can mark a milestone with another milestone. I want to do it for my husband, who spent so much time encouraging the last time, and who still calls me beautiful. I want to do it for all my kids, who deserve to have a mother who has years of unclogged arteries and working kidneys ahead of her. But mostly, I am doing it for myself, so that when I am sitting in my big ole soccer mom minivan, belting out the lyrics to Fergie's Glamorous (as I did two years ago), I will think...dammit I will KNOW...that she and I are singing about me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ