Skip to main content

Success

My mother and I recently had a conversation about success. It began with her telling me of a wall they are devoting to successful graduates in her school. She told me of a former student who now works for the FBI, another who went on to master not only law school, but music and scads of other professions, and yet another who works to find cures for disease. For each of them, she had awe and respect, and the tenderness in her voice was akin to that which she reveals only when she speaks of her most prized pupils. It brought about an interesting question- what is success? She mentioned that many nominations for the wall had come in, parents raving about their daughter who became a doctor, a family who proudly proclaimed their son had been a janitor for decades in the high school...My mother was solid in her belief that while they were admirable jobs, they were not the epitome of success, and therefore could not rival for those positions on the wall.
She reasoned that while all parents are proud of their offspring for their various endeavors, the true meaning of success was to do something grand, something life changing. World changing, if you will.
I disagreed, and still do.
Success is made of numerous factors. Happiness is key, for no matter how hard one works, or how well they are compensated monetarily, without joy in what they do, it means nothing. A man could climb Everest, but if he does it only for the prestige, it is a hollow victory. He must see the world for all of its beauty to have made the climb worthwhile.
Honor is necessary for success. Knowing that what you have achieved, you have done so with your morals and ethics intact, and never had to tread on another to get there. You must be able to have dignity, and never have secrets aching behind your breastbone that could ruin you.
Love, as trite as it may be, is essential. Regardless of how hard you work, at the end of the day it is the people who surround you whose respect and adoration will mean the most. To celebrate a victory alone is like a tree falling in the forest when no one is around to hear it.
Passion....the pulsating writhing grip of fiery beliefs that propels you toward greater heights. This idea is lost on those who have chosen a job or career that does not fulfill them, but merely pads their bank accounts. They forget in the day to day that each moment is sacred, they yearn for their vacation.
In the disagreement we had, my mother did not concede that I earned a spot on the wall of fame, but informed me that my sister and I had done much to make her proud. This is the pride I have sought out my entire life, ever afraid of disappointing, or making the wrong decisions. From early on in my life, I was convinced I would be a doctor- bringing new life into the world, my mother insisted my calling was in writing. I was a moderately good student, I got into the only college to which I applied, and could have made my dreams come true. Only somewhere in that time, the dream changed. My idea of success was altered. I fell in love- with a boy, with impetuosity, with children, and long lazy days of independence. I realized that all I wanted from my life was not fame, fortune or gainful employment, but to chew on bliss. To raise my kids to be happy and strong, and loving and loved. In the back of my mind, I questioned how my family saw this change in me. If they felt cheated out of boasting rights, or disappointed that I had fallen so far from a path I had been so righteous about for so long.
But hearing my mother tell me she was proud, gave me an inner peace. While I may never sit on a wall of fame somewhere, my children might. They might cure cancer, or lead the free world, or write the great american novel. On the other hand, they might spend their days playing this little piggy and making dragonfly pretzels- and the only thing I ask is that they do it because it brings a smile to their face, and a song to their heart. And then, and only then, I will consider them a success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ