Skip to main content

Tattooed PTA Moms

As I have said before, I am a PTA mom (and proud of it). I believe that when one thinks of a suburban mom/housewife, they think of a woman with peaces n cream skin and perfectly manicured hands. They drive spotless minivans, and often feed Koolaid in actual Koolaid pitchers to their overly attractive tweens and their numerous friends after an apparently successful soccer game. After which, she high fives them and they scamper to the yard.
She is the mom who, despite having cleaned all day until there is somehow an audible shine to her counters and floors, shakes her head laughingly as her enthusiastically muddy child comes in, followed by a large dog covered in what appears to be massive amounts of shit.
This woman is happily married to a handsome alpha male named Dan/Rob/Rick, who seldom makes appearances aside from fleetingly in the sidelines. This is the woman who will giggle and swat Dan/Rob/Rick on the hand after he says damn, for she is pure as the driven snow.
She hums as she grocery shops, and knows every recipe for one pot casseroles in existence.
You will find her exclaiming excitedly about new laundry detergent, and horrified about the hidden dangers of salmonella and soap scum.
But, ladies and gentlemen... rest assured, I will never have a Kate Gosselin haircut, look good in a cardigan sweater set or join a mommy and me aerobics class. My minivan has stuff under the seat that may or may not be small animals in hiding. I wear *gasp* sweats to the grocery store and pajamas to get my mail. I have even walked down the driveway in a shirt covered with leaking breastmilk, and felt just a spot of pride in that. I have brought my children to birthday parties at the wrong time, and once on the wrong day. I forget doctor's appointments, and show up to playdates half an hour early.
I have been known to call people a douche nozzle now and again, and my kids are not coordinated enough to chew gum and walk, let alone lead a team of rugrats to the soccer world series (is there even such a thing?) I am pretty sure that my kitchen has all sorts of diseases lurking around, salmonella being the least dangerous among them, some being threats not even yet documented by man.
I have a belly button ring (you would not believe how stretched one little hole could be after having five children- please do not be embarrassed by this double entendre), a tattoo (my son at age two wanted to know where the naked lady on the TV had her lion), and a skeleton or two dancing in the coat closet.
However, I cook like Julia Childs, love like Mother Theresa (without the whole generous saint thing working for me), and have a damn good sense of humor. I could take Stepford by storm, and kick June Cleaver's pearled and perfect heinie with both hands tied behind my back.
This is what I would like to write in our plea for people to join next year's PTA...to those people who occasionally like to do jello shots, or who have actually sunken low enough to watch the sex tape between Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee. All those people who perhaps barely made it through high school themselves, or who cannot for the life of them figure out how to help their second grader do long division. Those same folks who balk at the idea of making brownies from scratch, or who (like the billboards proclaim) can name five supermodels but not their childrens' teachers' names.
For in fact... like the supermom on the Mr. Clean commercials, we all simply put our pants on one leg at a time. We all cry at weddings and funerals and laugh when our kids teeter to the floor after their first glorious steps, with looks of pure astonishment on their faces. Each of us saves up to get to Disney, and splurges on Happy Meals, and loses it when the kids come down for water for the fifth time past "lights out". Regardless of our economic backgrounds or our religious beliefs, we have ridiculously high hopes for these kids of ours. I go to those PTA meetings to be reminded that we are all in it together, it takes a village to raise a child, etc.. and believe it or not, those ladies in their cashmere sweater sets just may have sleeve tattoos under 'em.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ