Skip to main content

Roller Coasters, Sleepovers and Pool Parties, Oh My!

I am 31 going on 32 ( in just a few short weeks, 32 shopping days to be exact). This week, I got to be a ten year old again- albeit an incredibly stressed out and uber responsible one, but a ten year old all the same.
Tuesday night was the pool party, complete with snocones, muscle floaties and bug bites galore. In celebration of the entire year, or perhaps nothing really in particular, a friend had the girl scouts out to her home, and the mothers (who declined to wear bathing suits, each believing they had a flaw to hide, and yet each knowing that of all groups, ours would be last to judge) sat in lawn chairs and discussed mother things like summer camp, teachers, and communicable diseases. The giggly gaggle of girl scouts, clad in vibrants tankinis, bikinis and skirted one pieces, flopped and splashed and dog paddled for hours, coming up only for air and slowly congealing pizza. I sat between the two groups, because as mother of little babies, one must be always on toes, always quick to be the rescuer, the nurturer, the consoler. The sun was bright on Tuesday, and it was warm and breezy, and truly one of the days that reminds you why you may you have moved back to the northeast in the first place. I let the ants scuttle across my bare toes, in search of the abundant crumb hills left by the children in their haste, and felt the heat and excitement of the day lay baby kisses across my nose. I listened to the sounds of exhuberant children who knew they were within a hair of summer vacation, and I suddenly became one of them. The day suddenly became endless, and the idea that fireflies were merely lying in wait on the other side of the woods was titillating. I could hear music where there was none, and laughter bubbling up from within myself when really, no jokes had been told. Suddenly, the house for sale no longer belonged to me, and the children I had sired were just old friends. The bills in a growing pile back at home were addressed to a neighbor, and my lumbering old body was suddenly lithe and perky once more.
These feeling were able to live through the next day, as we joyfully welcomed the end of the school year (as short as it seemed) and the beginning of a summer of unknowns. I giggled when Morgan's classmate threw up his ice cream outside the tilt-a-whirl at Hoffman's, and screamed with the girls as the umbrellas tossed them into the air. I ate over-fried cheese sticks with Rhiannon and Lucas, and salivated over the huge pile of presents in the corner.
Then, last night, the slumber party. Whispering with Laurie in the basement, as the girls let each new drama unfold like a favorite sweater, making towering sundaes of pure disgustingness, and staying up much too late, making pipe cleaner animals.
And then...today... I aged 22 years. I woke up with fussing babies, and washed an endless amount of dishes. I paid the bills and sighed at the balance in my bank account. I snapped at Lucas for throwing a tantrum, and longed for a nap on the couch. As I bent to put the party decorations away, I felt my knees scream in protest, and I realized how fleeting it is. How not long from now, Rhiannon will be my age, with her shoulders broad and strong from having to hold up her little world, and her eyes lined from years of laughter and worry, and her breasts stretched from nursing each baby until they no longer need her and yearn for her. How I will blink today and it will be tomorrow, and those little things that got me down yesterday will be so insignificant, and those same children will be adults.
I realize this more every day that I live, in tiny ways that add up exponentially- life is short. And I am starting to believe (and perhaps this is why so many insist that after 30 is when life suddenly makes sense) that when the doorstep is darkened by the impending realities of responsibility, adulthood and accountability, it is best to pretend not to be home. Allow yourself to be ten as often as possible. And so tonight, I will get my hands dirty and make chocolate with Morgan, and eat too much of it without thinking of diets, and I will wake up tomorrow, giddy as a schoolgirl, as we drive to the infinte ocean in maine. I will build sand castles and eat ice cream cones, and succumb to Drake and josh with the kids in the hotel room. I will forget about realtors, and messy rooms, and agendas and appointments. I will stow away every memory in my mental scrapbook, but more importantly will know that the kids will be doing the same. And that in 22 years time, they will be able to dust each and every memory off and get to be ten again. And again. And again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ