Skip to main content

Twittering,Hunting and Gnawing

Today, I suppose, begins the journey. Months ago, Jake and I laughingly discussed the possibility of moving to a land far, far away... and so suddenly, I have clicked these Ruby slippers and home has become anew.
I am sitting at Jake's atronomically large computer in Greensboro,NC, with little else to do. Rhiannon is playing the new DSi behind me, pretending to be immersed in a Sonic game, but secretly plotting a fate worse than death on her impetuous parents. Morgan is lying on a makeshit bed in this furniture-less temporary home, watching Nolan sleep. Lucas is engineering the lastest gadget that is sure to one day be the technological breakthrough of its lifetime. Jake is at his new job, wowing them, and finding the credit he much deserves after a vast wasteland of ingrates and sore losers.
I just signed on for a twitter account, after reading that one Barack Obama has one...figuring if it is good enough for him, it is, quite possibly, good enough for me. I am not sure I am cool enough to get the hang of the tweets and widgets, but whatever coolness eludes me, savvy shall make up for.
We spent the day yesterday hunting for a house. And when I say house, read mini-mcmansion. I spent the better part of my childhood being slightly poorer than my peers, and gazing upon these houses is remedial, where one grown up Kerensa can time travel to one little Kerensa and tell her that one day she will find out what a coffered ceiling is, and quite possibly have it be her love at first sight. One drawback to this hunt, is the five little critters squirming in the back seats, watching Madascar2 for the seventh time. But we have such limited time to hunt, and being both predator and prey at this point is alarmingly unnerving. Time has begun to tick in the harshest of fashions.
I find myself being disgusted at my eating habits of late. I have turned to comfort foods, as many will in times of crisis. Jake is now living in Greensboro alone, while I fare alone in my house with the kids, and Ben and the incredible Jerry of "Everything But the..." fame have kept me company, alongside feta and onion pizza, caesar salad and chimichangas. I have described to Jake this fantasy of mine... I suppose many an amateur psych student would read much into this.... I am in my new north carolina home- alight with late morning sun, sipping on a mug of what must be tea, as I do not drink coffee, with a luxurious throw over my lap in my sunroom. For the moment, I have forgotten that I am a stranger in a strange land, and more alone than ever in my life, and miraculously enough (in this fantasy alone), I am not only elegantly posed, but thin and quite gorgeous, to boot. It turns out, when one moves to a new Southern town, one becomes the quintessential Suburban Desperate Housewife, and I expect that late in this fictional day, the ladies of the auxilary will be ringing my bell with sweet tea in their sundresses, with invitations to Bunko and Bridal showers galore.
Alas, I am now awake, and in the real world, still in pajamas at 2pm, and alas even still, at Jake's astronomical computer screen, spilling my proverbial guts.

Comments

  1. Everything But The ... is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so interested in knowing how you are going to choose the neighborhood you will live in! I remember standing on that precipice recently...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ