Skip to main content

The Dichotomy of Kerensa

    There is a moment in Kevin Costner's Field of Dreams when Doc Graham abandons his dream of playing baseball to walk across the border of heaven and earth to save someone's life. It may be THE moment in the movie, although my son argues that the true moment is when Ray's dad agrees to play a catch. Either way, I leak like a sieve throughout the movie, a timeless film about nostalgia and dreams, and a little about reconciling the losses we have endured.
    I was five when I decided to become a doctor. There wasn't a moment of wavering from the time my sister was meant to be born in our two bedroom apartment to a midwife (with me watching). Not throughout elementary school, when my friends wanted to be MTV VJs or famous actresses. Not in high school, when I spent every spare moment writing poems and essays and novellas, when my mother urged me to be a writer, to be the next SE Hinton, as if there could be such a thing. And not in college, when I took eighteen credits per semester to squeeze in my calculuses and my biologies and then stayed up all night working as an usher in a movie theater (for $4.15 an hour). It was what was embedded in my soul.
    My daughter was born when I was twenty one. At the time, I was embroiled in a bitter argument with my college, who had lost transcripts and was demanding money I didn't have for me to continue with my education. Becoming a mom won out. Once she was born, the school seemed trivial, and all of my efforts became refocused. But throughout all of my pregnancies, throughout any illnesses I had, even running down the corridor of Albany Med to hold my grandmother as she died, I felt that I was split into two. The dichotomy of Kerensa. The smells of a hospital, and the way the scrubs looked as they turned a corner with purpose, it all felt like a life left unlived for me.
     Several years ago, after my sister earned her nursing degree, alongside women twice my own age, I revisited the idea of going back to school. My children were old enough to suffer through TV dinners on nights when I had to study, my husband adept enough to care for them when I had to attend labs. I filled out paperwork and worked the numbers to decide if tuition, registration, application was feasible. I envisioned a life with me coaxing a newborn into the world, a flaming spark of life with infinite possibility. A life of me crying alongside a grieving mother, having known myself the feeling of loss when the heartbeat within has stopped.
    But ultimately, something halted my journey, and even now, a decade later, I have forgotten what it was. Maybe a panicked thought of my age, or of the age I would be when one journey would end and another would commence.
    Occasionally I will be in a hospital, and I will see a patient on a gurney, and I will feel drawn to them in a strange magnetic way. Or a friend will tell me about something that ails their children, and a diagnostician inside of me will emerge, with the mother in me merely along for the ride. But I will always feel the pull. Especially now, as the world is enveloped in a pandemic and so many doctors and nurses are sacrificing their everything to fight on the front lines. Like soldiers. And I wish I could be alongside them, in the perilous fight, with ramparts streaming gallantly and all.
    But then I think of the line of white landscape rock. The line that Doc "Moonlight" Graham had to cross to save a little girl, and the dream he walked away from. In the movie he says that the real tragedy would be if he were to give up even five minutes of being a doctor, not sacrificing his life as a ball player.
    I have spent twenty one years as a stay home mom. A life of little fanfare, and almost no public recognition. I will not get a raise or a promotion, and I will not leave a legacy save for the minutiae my children will take with them in their adult lives. It is not a life of greatness or a story they will make movies about when I pass on to my cornfield. But on this Mother's Day, it is imperative for me to recognize the significance of the choice I made. I could have had my five minutes on a ball field, wielding a stethoscope, but like Doc Graham, I chose a life that was meant for me, a calling louder than the lure of the glory. And every time, every single time, I would choose to cross the rock to be the me I was truly meant to be. If Heaven, or Iowa, is a place where dreams can come true, I have already lived here for more than half of my life. I am not sure everyone can claim the same, but if I have learned anything over the last two months of isolation and quarantine, it is that somehow, without even knowing I was doing it, I hit a home run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

The march was a journey for all women, not just those who walked.

I am really tired of seeing the blogs written by complacent women in their suburban homes, self-righteously shitting on the women who took to the streets for the march on Washington last week. We can pussyfoot around the subject and take care with our words, because as women, we have been taught to be non-confrontational, to be demure. But I am taking back those silly notions and raising a big fat middle finger to the people who deride others for defending the very rights that have brought them to their complacency in their suburban homes. If you chose not to march, that is absolutely your decision, and I will not criticize you for it, for we each have to be comfortable in the ways we raise our voices. But if you are a female who has ever voted, who has ever held a job in the workforce, who has ever used birth control, had an abortion, been assaulted, been harassed, bought a home, owned a credit card, or given birth, then for you to tell the women and men who marched on our behalf th

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ