Skip to main content

Hope

As moms, I believe we are somehow taught that the busier we are, the more productive we are. If we are stay at home moms, we are meant to believe we are failing our children if they are not in every sport, every musical class, every scouting group or playgroup. As working moms, we are meant to believe that by earning a paycheck outside the home, our children are somehow neglected. 
This virus has upended life for every parent. What was once up is now down, what was once left is now right. Working mothers are now experiencing life at home, and stay at home moms are now experiencing the crushing weight of the feeling of having to provide for a family when the chips are down. 
In a week, or a month, or a year, there will begin a new normal. Perhaps concerts and movie theaters will have gone by the wayside, germophobia running rampant. Perhaps families will begin a great stockpiling of goods as they did in the days of the depression, with an ever looming second foot waiting to fall. 
But here are the ways I hope life will change. 
I hope that we, as parents, will all start to understand and empathize with each other more. Each of us is doing the best we can, regardless of income or job situation. This is a large village and it’s one whose tasks we all must share. 
I hope that the uber busy parents, the ones who claim they have no time to read, no time to socialize, no time to be anything other than always “on”, will be able to step back occasionally to recognize that their children need them more present than they do behind the wheel of a transportation device. 
I hope that those of us who have an unnatural predilection to phones and other technological devices will find a way to step away from this devil we’ve come to know to embrace the simple ways. 
I hope that we continue to take walks and revel in a nature that we’ve betrayed in a myriad of ways, recognizing the ways we’ve inadvertently harmed it and the ways we can very consciously change it. 
I hope that we look to the friends and family we have been zooming and texting and calling and about whom we’ve been fretting and worrying, and become more cognizant of the role they play in our lives and the absolute joy they bring to us. 
I hope that our children will, in five, ten , fifteen years, look back on these crazy times with a wonderment about how their parents handled it all, and perhaps even a strange sense of nostalgia at the beautiful minutiae of their time in isolation. 
I hope that teachers who may have become jaded and calloused at an ever evolving system will have a renewed vigor to be with their students in a hands on environment, and the parents who lacked the empathy to recognize the exhaustion and passion in their children’s teachers will come to an understanding about the difficulties faced when attempting to educate and tolerate two dozen children daily for seven hours per day. 
I hope that we will never again be terse or short with the health care providers who stand on the front line of unseen battles every single day, and that we appreciate all essential workers, from nurses to delivery people, who service us for less than they deserve. 
I hope we remember the people we’ve lost, no matter the age, the demographic, the underlying illnesses that preceded their deaths, because every one of them was more than a statistic and more than dollars lost. 
I hope that we commemorate this time in our lives less as time lost but as insight gained and wisdom earned. 
Wars come in many forms and are never won by any side,but these battles are being fought unanimously and with selflessness unlike any I’ve ever seen. No wall is separating us, no color divides us, no language silences us.
We are brave soldiers, with battle scars, and our war tales will be plentiful, but I hope we never again feel unarmed or alone. 
Hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ