Skip to main content

I Don't Know How You Do It

"I don't know how you do it", they say in a half-admiringly, half-dismissive way, and I wave them off, not out of rudeness but out of a sense of confusion. While many things in my life are far from easy, the things that make people say this phrase are among the easier. So I feel, when I hear this, that I must be missing something. If I were doing all the things I should be doing, would I still be able to accomplish these obviously extraneous tasks? If by making elaborate cupcakes, I am forgetting to clean the disposal, or by spending time with the PTA, am I forgetting to clean behind the stove? I am absurdly guilty on both counts, among many others. I am both envious and curious of those women upon whose floors you may eat, or whose curtains are freshly laundered, and beds always made. I forget the tiny things and they grow. I have long expired salad dressings in my fridge, and an old doctor bill I have forgotten to pay on my desk. My van is a veritable explosion of forbidden fast foods, legos and now ruined books and school papers. When pulling into my garage, I must have everyone exit on the left, for the right has yet to be cleaned and is too cluttered. My boys are often naked, or otherwise unkempt, and my own clothes have expired along with my salad dressings. My kitchen sink is rarely empty, nor is my dryer, and there are says when we are down to ketchup and syrup for dinner. When a friend stops for an unexpected visit, I find myself wondering if the toilet has been flushed, if there are undergarments on light fixtures, or if I had remembered to Magic Eraser the sharpie in the Family Room, and the answer is often no. My basement is a treasure trove of broken ornaments, tattered poetry, written in my angst filled college days, yearbooks I dare never to open, and books I will most likely never reread. I have bins of clothes outgrown by my ever growing children, that I intend on selling or donating, that I just can't seem to find the time to sort through.
I throw enormous parties for each of the kids' milestones, and throw in several for myself, as well. I bake cakes for people and events in which I am scarcely involved. I braid braids in Morgan's hair to rival the women in Medieval times. I make large and often gourmet meals for my family, with large and gourmet messes. I own a dog in the second largest breed alive. I write blogs about the minutiae in my life. I chair half a dozen events in the children's school, and hold the position of president. But things fall out of every closet in my home when the doors are opened, and my Christmas lights will be up until the snow melts.
Yesterday, an assistant in the class I am teaching informed me I obviously have too much time on my hands. It gave me pause because it was the antithesis of everything I have heard from everyone else since the twins were born. I was slightly offended, and I realized that I want to exist between the two statements. I want not to be noticed for the things I do, for fear of being found out for the things I don't.
I am mightily lazy, and abundantly self-serving. But I adore my children and am hopefully instilling good values, a sense of self, and allowing them to feel secure and loved. The microwave can wait, the weeds can grow, the cobwebs can droop. This is how I do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ