Skip to main content

Put on a Happy Face

Those of us who have a loved one who suffers from depression, we know the color gray. We know how easily a day can go from technicolor to gray in a single phone call, a downcast look, a sigh.
We know that the only other helplessness that is even slightly akin to this, is that which we feel when our children are sick.
We think that if we could only make the right meal, say the right thing, plan the right event. We think if we could only smile that much wider, it would become infectious, and all would be all right.
We tell ourselves that this too shall pass, but it passes like molasses, and we wait.
Brave faces galore in public, nothing can be as it seems. How is your sister, your husband, your uncle, your friend they ask innocently. And you feel your face crack into a thousand pieces as you smile brightly and declare them to be fine. You hear the click of the wheels on the grocery cart as you walk away, and the only way you know how to keep walking without falling, is to align your steps with the clicks.
We read books and articles, recommend vitamins and exercise. We convince ourselves that a cure lays just beyond our reach, and that if we exhaust ourselves by searching, the puzzle will solve itself. On the down time, when the phone is silent, and the downcast looks are unable to be seen, and the sighs are out of earshot, life reassembles itself like a Salvador Dali in reverse. The clocks tick again, the birds sing, and our friend, Food, is once more able to delight us.
At night, when the exhuberant sounds of unknowing children have been tucked beneath blankets and lovey bears, and meaningless tasks have dwindled and gone, the fear and loneliness whistle in oh so casually, and you cry the emptiness out.
You may find, though reluctantly, that while your smile is not contagious, their depression is. Their power is too strong to resist. Down the rabbit hole, we go. And only then do we understand that our urging, our begging, our promises and our lies will do nothing to alleviate their pain. All that is left, at this point, is to hold them to you, tightly tightly tightly, so they can not float away.

Comments

  1. as one who often wonders if I will ever find a tether... one who's friends and family smile bravely for, I thank you for writing this. It made me smile and brightened my moment. please don't give up... that person needs you more than they know how to tell you.

    peace and solidarity
    sars

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

The march was a journey for all women, not just those who walked.

I am really tired of seeing the blogs written by complacent women in their suburban homes, self-righteously shitting on the women who took to the streets for the march on Washington last week. We can pussyfoot around the subject and take care with our words, because as women, we have been taught to be non-confrontational, to be demure. But I am taking back those silly notions and raising a big fat middle finger to the people who deride others for defending the very rights that have brought them to their complacency in their suburban homes. If you chose not to march, that is absolutely your decision, and I will not criticize you for it, for we each have to be comfortable in the ways we raise our voices. But if you are a female who has ever voted, who has ever held a job in the workforce, who has ever used birth control, had an abortion, been assaulted, been harassed, bought a home, owned a credit card, or given birth, then for you to tell the women and men who marched on our behalf th