Skip to main content

Naked Front Door

I took the curtains off the sidelite windows yesterday, in preparation for our new storm door, and each time I pass it by, I am startled by how naked I suddenly feel.
Our world has become one whose hatches are battened, toggles are buttoned and seams are sealed tight. Fifty years ago, it was customary to pop your head in your neighbor's door and let out a "yoohoo", and now the door has become deadlocked, barricaded and made of steel.
I have mentioned before that I was raised on a mountain, where privacy was not only possible, but all too often the norm. In winter, the street was dark as pitch, because the inhabited homes were few and far between. My parents would go to sleep early, and I would be left in the quiet, longing for companionship and the noises of a suburb.
Friends who lived below Taborton led, in my eyes, an easier life. They did not help split wood with a hatchet in November, or drag mattresses in front of the coal stove during power outages. When they wanted a "playdate", a simple bicycle ride could get them there. My first taste of this freedom was in college, and by golly, I took advantage.
My entire adult life, I have longed for the random neighbors popping in for a cup of coffee (though I would have to be taught how to make it first) or the nonstop ringing of the bell on Halloween evening. I have wanted to shoo my children out on their bicycles only to have them return with a handful of friends begging for dinner. I am chastised by my husband, my parents, my more urban friends because I only lock my door while sleeping. I laugh thinking that if I were to have my way, the door would be a swinging one, alive and busy with the visitors bursting forth.
Now that Jake is living elsewhere, and school has begun, I am immersed in quiet once more. My lovely little tree frogs have started to take shelter, and the windows must be shut against the early morning chill. The dark yawns wider and earlier each night, and so the door becomes locked for longer periods of time. I walk to the mail box at one each afternoon, when the twins are safely ensconced in their crib, and the street has become deserted. This is a far cry from just a few weeks ago, when lawnmowers, teenagers and hesitant children bikers were littering the front lawn of every house.
Like a chameleon, I must adapt now. I must draw closed the curtains when I tuck the kids in, and avert my eyes when a winter weary neighbor trudges past. I must pack away my summer smile with my good weather wardrobe, and accept the solitude until April.
But I have decided, being the rebel I am, to leave the curtains off my sidelites. My private middle finger to the laws of reclusion. If you drive by, and you think my door looks a bit naked, you may see that the light is also on. This is my plea, my friends: Please poke your head in and yoohoo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ

The march was a journey for all women, not just those who walked.

I am really tired of seeing the blogs written by complacent women in their suburban homes, self-righteously shitting on the women who took to the streets for the march on Washington last week. We can pussyfoot around the subject and take care with our words, because as women, we have been taught to be non-confrontational, to be demure. But I am taking back those silly notions and raising a big fat middle finger to the people who deride others for defending the very rights that have brought them to their complacency in their suburban homes. If you chose not to march, that is absolutely your decision, and I will not criticize you for it, for we each have to be comfortable in the ways we raise our voices. But if you are a female who has ever voted, who has ever held a job in the workforce, who has ever used birth control, had an abortion, been assaulted, been harassed, bought a home, owned a credit card, or given birth, then for you to tell the women and men who marched on our behalf th