Skip to main content

Prom

She stands before the tiny mirror attached to her door, and turns from side to side. Her hair is not quite as she planned, and the dress is not the one she imagined, but at this particular moment, while her hemline swishes like the spring breeze outside, it is all inconsequential. She bought the tickets the day they went on sale in the cafeteria, the money earned at her after school supermarket job dwindling with each preparation for this day. A dozen stores were ransacked, in search of the dress she envisioned, and had pictured herself in every day for the two years she had dated him. A deep passionate purple, off the shoulder, and just lovely. The one she ended up with was what one may call last ditch, at the last store, and more than a little disappointing- a bit of foreshadowing of her wedding. But she still feels young, and beautiful, and optimistic and nervous: all the required emotions of a girl at her prom.
The neighbor girl who was paid to dress her hair has left, and her mother has not yet come home, so she is left with hours to spare, tickets in hand and an imagination. I assume every girl imagines her prom in a similar way... equal parts romance novel (with heaving bosoms and throbbing passions), chick flick (with witty dialogue and uber sweet come on lines) and teen comedy (with the underdog tossing about witticisms while he watches the Prom Queen of his dreams take the throne with his archnemesis, the quarterback). She is no different. On a day like this, when limos have been hired, and stylists required, and complete outfits purchased (even the dyeable Thom McAnns), perfection is not only desired, but necessary. There is no margin for error- he must say the right things, the corsage must be vibrant and saveable, there must be photo after photo she would deem magazine-worthy. But in a world created and run by the teenage mind, standards are set too high, and falls from the pedastal much too hard. She will be appalled by the drunken crowd who waltz in, loud and entitled. She will be aghast at the rumors of what girls are doing inthe restrooms, and will be horrified at the congealed blob they are trying to pass off as cordon bleu. At one point, she will be standing in the courtyard near the pillars, with the music behind her, looking into space and knowing full well she has entered a "movie moment" and her date will come up behind her and instead of lovingly embracing her, or saying the right thing, he will laugh and make a terrible joke, and at that very moment she will know. She will tell herself that getting on the court is unimportant, but will find herself green with envy when the gawky girl gets picked. She will patiently for the beautiful song she thinks of as the quintessential love song, but will realize that the horrendous theme song will be played repeatedly instead. She will allow herself moment by moment to be dragged into an insolent tantrum, and will watch as not one, or two but threee fistfights are brought outside, her boyfriend will dance with two girls who are most certainly not his date, and the couple sitting next to her at the table will be preparing for their breakup du jour. It is only in the last half hour when her caution is thrown to the wind, and she allows herself to just accept c'est la vie, and prom is quasi-redeemed. But the night ends, the limo whose side door is broken will drive through the night, and the dress will be hung on a hanger (though the hair will not be budged for days, coated as it is with product)
Many years later, when she has grown and seen life for what it is, and known responsibility and grief, and yearning for youth, she will pass a group of girls on prom day, eagerly heading into the salon, whose dreams are all but scrawled across their flawless faces, and she will find herself smiling and reflecting on her own prom in a surprisingly non-cynical fashion. She will mentally wish the girls all the best, and head home to make cordon bleu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are damned if we stay silent, and damned if we speak.

When I was nineteen years old, only a year into adulthood, and only hesitantly an adult, a man sexually assaulted me. We had met in our apartment complex one night, at the community pool. He was good looking, a military man, cocky and confident, and I was going through the end of my first relationship away from my small hometown. I invited him into my home. I kissed him. I let him into my bedroom. That was where my permission ended. When I told him no, he proceeded to try to shove his genitalia up the leg of my shorts, and when I began to cry and told him to stop or I would scream, he told me I was a tease. And I felt guilt. I am going to say that again- I felt GUILT. As a girl, I had been preconditioned to believe that I could feel bad for getting a guy "worked up", and I didn't kick him out. I slept on the floor next to my bed, while he slept in my bed, and I woke to him trying to do the same thing, only to my face. That time, I was done. Typing these words out makes

Summer, summer, summertime....

There is a scent in the air tonight, and while it is a little chilly and damp, I recognize it as the smell of summer. When I was younger, my family and I lived on a lake high on a mountain top...miles from civilization. (cue the banjo from deliverance) The winters were harsh, sometimes we would be unable to drive down our road, so we would be forced to trudge through feet of snow for half a mile before getting to our house, only to realize the oil truck also couldn't get down the road, and thus we were without heat. There were several times that our cars skidded off of slick roads, and countless playdates lost because parents did NOT want to venture the roadtrip to drop off their child. As a very young kid, the toboganning and ice skating were enough to make winter bearable, as was the warmth of christmas. But as I got older, it became more and more difficult to accept the way of life the great Northeast had to offer (Hence, the trip to ASU for college) . I longed for summers, whic

Pura Vida

I have always been a bit nervous about traveling, I suppose it's the fear of the unknown. Although, at age 18, I moved across the country to a place I had seen only twice in my life, alone, so I'm not always a scaredy cat. Having gone to Italy in February, and now Costa Rica this week, I believe the wanderlust within me has awoken. The two trips were as vastly different as they could be. In Italy, we spent a week viewing man-made treasures, art in opulent and majestic galleries. We feasted on cheese and wine and pasta, and then feasted again on the rich sights of the Vatican. We took trains to the beautiful cities of Pisa, Florence, Milan, Rome and Montecatini. The days were filled from morning till night, sometimes blending into each other like watercolors, where we had forgotten what we had seen until we could process it days later. It was a week of history, and art, and beauty and family. This week, in Guanacaste, has also been about beauty and family, but entirely differ